Saturday 15 May 2010

Minnesota Twins



No, I know. Buzz wasn't there. It doesn't count. Plus I'm seeing the Twins twice. Double wrong.

But the fact is, this is a baseball swing of America, and I was in Minneapolis a few days ago at the newest ballpark in the 50 states eating a hot dog, drinking Bud Light and watching some baseball. So it counts. The story goes something like this: I quit my job but still wanted to finish something I started (BWWWWAAAAAAAHT?), so I flew out to Minny with my friend Angela and wrapped up a radio campaign with Twins first baseman Justin Morneau.

Before we go anywhere else, let me say this: Justin is the man. If someone says they met him and he was a dick, they didn't meet him. People who meet celebrities feel the need to feel extremely one way or the other about that celebrity. Either they say, "He is the nicest guy on the planet, hands down, bar none." Or, "He is such a huge douche I can't believe he's still famous." Well, I'm about to pull that. Justin Morneau is awesome. He showed up at the recording studio alone - no entourage - indulged me in some fantasy baseball nerdery, then nailed three scripts like a pro and went 2-4 with a jack that night. Our TV shoot with him was the same way.

Here's my reaction to Target Field: it's big, it's pretty, it's got a cool Twins sign in center field and a great view of the city. Heck, it IS the city. But it doesn't have any soul. Not yet. Right now, it's just a pretty park. I have the feeling Camden Yards was Camden Yards the day it opened - Target may have to earn that to really hit a... crap... bullseye.

The Twins couldn't get anything going in this game. Against the Orioles. And normally that would make me worry, but I'd rather have them hit grand slams off of Mariano Rivera in the ninth and shut up 50,000 clearly wealthy Yankees blowhards than humble an already humbled squad from Baltimore. Justin, as I said, went 2 for 4, Mauer continued being the giant of a human we've all known him to be, and the Twins went down 2 zip.

Go A's.

Orioles 2, Twins 0













No comments:

Post a Comment